Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Spiced Lemon Tea- and Warm wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving


When I was about six years old I was gifted a Casio, a small musical instrument which could play a myriad of tunes, and appeared no less than a professional one to me at that time. My Casio would play the happy Birthday note perfectly, some of the popular film song notes were also pre-set, and I would just croon to the music. In front of guests it made me think and act like Mariah Carey on stage.

For the next few months I fancied dressing like a pop star. Forced my mother to sew a few flouncy gown like dresses out of her sari and wore those outrageous outfits to all birthday parties. Well at parties I always always insisted that everyone should sing along with my Casio – and the cake should be cut only after I was ready with my Casio to play the birthday tune.

 I pretty much bullied all the guests to listen to me singing to my Casio notes and clap at the end. Perhaps I tried to copy my mother who is a classical singer herself and whose performances always ended with loud clapping’s.  Small desires in my little heart – totally unaware of my out of tune signing .In any case at that time and age I thought it to be pretty impressive.

I’m now so grown up from my crooning with the Casio days but still love to hear it play.  Music runs in my genes, I cannot deny. Too bad, that I have not been blessed with the right talent.

This drink too feels like music, reminds me of my long lost casio. What is common between a music and and spice tea- you ask? Well, the hot spice tea is something which always marked a closure to happy evenings , with classical singing ,food and banter in typical Bengali house parties of yore.It does have some nostalgic memories.

And even if we do not have the tradition of close knit house parties with classical singing – this drink still offers a revision of the classic hot tea transforming it into a mindblowin  mocktail. So right for this season. Be it post-thanksgiving dinner or to share with kids to offer a comforting relief to common cold.This humble drink does it all.

Spiced Lemon Tea


Ingredients:


2 Tbsp Darjeeling Tea Leaves
1 Tbsp Honey
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
1” Cinnamon Stick
2-3 Cloves
½ tsp Grated Nutmeg
Lemon wedge for garnish

Preparation:

In a pan heat around three cups of water and add to it all of the whole spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg) .Once it reduces to around two cups put off the flame and add the tea leaves. Cover and let it brew for two minutes.

Add lemon and honey and strain immediately.

This should make about two cups of hot spiced lemon tea.

Stir.

Garnish with a lemon wedge.

My way of sending some warm wishes for a lovely Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

Joanne said...

I love that you compared this drink to music! I wish I had a glass of it right now.

team ecoSycle said...

Thanks Joanne for your lovely words.A hot cuppa your way. cheers!:)

You might also Love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This