Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Palong Saag Bhaja (Bengali Stir Fried Spinach) - Going Green


The below picture is the everyday lunch which my ma serves my baba(father) as he prepares to take on the day.

Today she graciously agreed to take a picture and share, coaxing me to agree to have something similar everyday atleast till Durga Puja so that I can add to the beauty of the new clothes she has carefully picked for me to wear during the festival...

I give in..I embrace the green in it.

Why?

Well...

Green is in.

A recent news report tells me that to send the message across they are making a lot of Durga Puja Pandals green (I mean the Eco friendly one).

The messages are not so subtle always. Some even color the deity green. (I'm not sold to this idea yet...as I keep thinking  H-U-L-K)

Wait..there's more

 Green is a soothing color, a peace and prosperity color, a spring color and …and if you were to listen to me what my instincts tell me , it’s the color signifying fertility….stimulates the eye, making you want more of …ummm food.

Contemplating?

A plate of green to whatever holiday you love to celebrate, will definitely let the others be a little green with…

You guessed it.

Change

Sag Bhaja (Stir Fried Spinach)

Ingredients :


Spinach - 1 bunch chopped fine
Onion - 1, sliced  (Mom called to delete the onions,so add only if you can't do without 'em)
Panch phoron - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
Green Chillies to taste
Sugar 1/2 tsp (optional)
Salt to taste

Method :

Blanch the chopped spinach in a pan of boiling water with a pinch of salt for about 3-4 minutes. Drain the spinach, run under cool water and set aside. Now drain the water out and set aside.

Heat oil in a pan, add panch phoron, sliced onion, fry until onions turn brown.

Now add boiled spinach, sugar, salt, Cover the lid for few more minutes.

Finally, add fried bori, mix it.

Enjoy with hot plain rice..

Now for some creative take on the plain 'ol stir fry . These are the regional saag recipes I cooked and liked
Murg Saagwala from ecurry.com
Kashmiri Saag
SouthIndian Palaak Saag

5 comments:

Shobha said...

Nice Bengali recipes here..will try them out.
It will be nice if you can mention my blog name too..though you have linked it.. Thanks.

Aruna Manikandan said...

first time here...
healthy and delicious stir fry :)
u have a wonderful space with interesting recipes, glad to follow u :)

Anamika | madcookingfusions said...

Hey thank you for stopping by at my blog :), got to know you too... nice space with many bengali recipes...will try few veg ones :)!

lubnakarim06 said...

Love these recipes....

team ecoSycle said...

Shobha - Thanks For dropping by. Will add the name of your blog too.

Anamika - Pleasure is all mine.

Lubna - Thanks for dropping by.

You might also Love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This