Friday, November 2, 2012

Moong er Kochuri with soulful Rabindra Sangeet


Cuisine and culture (spelled Kal-char)  is life and soul of us Bongs. Since we all think we are direct descendants of Guru Dev Rabindra Nath Thakur and related to him by virtue of being born in the same soil, we have to keep the Kalchaar flag  flying high. By singing (melodious is given) Rabindra Sangeet  (songs penned by Rabindra Nath Thakur)- of course.

Ours is an open secret.We Bengalis love our singing.

An early morning walk in any suburban locality in Kolkata will confirm this. Most bong girls (and some lucky boys too) are introduced to classical singing early in age.  Talent or choice notwithstanding. Practice makes a man perfect is a verdict given. Abiding is the rule.  Some lucky ones like me break it.In hindsight , I wish I didn’t. My mother being a classical singer of note herself,  perhaps realized that with my no sur-gyaan and interest it would be complete waste of time. She let me do my own thing. It sure made me happy as a kid – not any more.

Now I have a toddler who refuses to sleep to my singing. Yells at my attempts at crooning. Pits me against my husband and both father-daughter duo have e a good laugh at my hapless attempts to sing children’s songs in Bengali.

Sure enough - I bet I am one of the rare Bongs who sucks at singing.!

Singing is not my forte. I can’t even lip sync to Rabindra Sangeet for my lyrics end up being ill timed. I am still mad at why all bong social parties break into a singing session and who the hell invented Karaoke!
Well well.

All is not gone yet- perhaps I can still flutter the kalchaar flag  high by cooking  up a storm in the kitchen. Listen to dada’s and boudi’s applaud – The husband appreciate and put my little one to bed , not with lullabye but a happy belly.

Moong Dal Kochuri 

Ingredients: 

For the dough : 
1 Cup Maida,
Cooking oil
Water.

For the filling : 
1 cup Yellow Moong Dal (Yellow lentils -washed and soaked overnight)
1 pinch Hing/Asafetida
1tsp Turmeric/haldi powder
1tsp Red chilli powder
4-5 Laung/Clove (powdered)
1 tsp Black Pepper Powder.
Salt

Knead the dough well, and add oil generously so that’s its crumbly in texture. Then add little water, in sprinkles and knead into a soft pliable dough.

Heat a little oil and add hing (this is a dominating flavor so be careful to avoid if someone hates it vehemently). Now add the soaked dal and stir. Add all the dry powders and salt .Stir fry for some time and do not add any water. cool.  taste. You should like what you having before it goes into the dough.

Now make small balls of the dough and stuff with the filling and roll them out. Typically these Kachoris are deep fried in Ghee (Clarified Butter) but I use vegetable oil to fry them.

Lastly put some music on. Who says you need to know singing to enjoy some music .
Sending this recipe too Diwali Fest hosted by Cooks Joy and Anus Healthy Kitchen

1 comment:

Swathi said...

Moong dal Kachouri looks delicious Love these traditional recipes a lot.

You might also Love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This